Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Lazure!

I have started learning how to paint lazure!  I've wanted to do it for years ever since I first found out about it when my close friend and her paint mentor painted her living room, dining room, kitchen, and front hallway (which I helped with, incidentally).  I just had to wait til I bought a house.  I had a mobile home at the time with wallpaper on the walls.

Because there are not a lot of sources online for info, I want to share what I learn, and maybe it will inspire someone else to take the leap.  Since I believe in my heart that it will be well worth the effort!

This is a picture of my first practice board which is a tempered hardboard from Home Depot, cut into thirds from the original 4' x 8.   I started with a primer and then a coat of white base paint (eggshell).  Then using special brushes (more about that later), I and a friend who had done the technique in her house, used an accent base (without added paint color) and a smidgeon of acrylic paint (I started with blue) to a bucket with about 12 parts water to 1 part accent base, stirring it around til you get it all dissolved and have a thin consistency of paint color.  I think I applied two coats of blue (letting the first dry for 20+ minutes), then a yellow coat, then blue again.  We were experimenting to see how to get a gentle green in the blue.  We could also have added green color directly from a tube of paint, instead of painting blue, then yellow to get green.  This board has 3-5 layers of acrylic paint on it, which I'm just showing you so you can get an idea of the graduations that are part of the technique.  And, remember, this is just my first try, so hopefully I'll get a better effect as I get more experienced.
More details coming.

No comments: