Thursday, July 10, 2008

Anne Lamott is my fave!


I  love Anne Lamott.  I just finished reading her book, Grace (Eventually), Thoughts on Faith.  Had read Plan B, Traveling MerciesOperating Instructions, and Bird by Bird.  She is such a gifted writer and sardonic muse.  

I love finding someone who I can relate to.  Well.  Really well.  Of course, I have different circumstances -- a different growing-up, family-of-origin, etc., but I can relate to her non-mainstream view of religion and her attention to the details of living that usually go unnoticed.  And her wonderful and abundant compassion.  For herself as well as others (which is sometimes hard -- we all have been taught to love they neighbor, but the part about loving the self often gets lost or obscured or else we try to love ourselves with food, alcohol, shopping,etc.)   Now, I can't really write about her charms as well as others (who do that for a living), but I can say that I find her funny, cogent , enlightening, uplifting, and confirming.   

To me, she represents the power of the human spirit (I know this is a hack-neyed concept) to take stock, to report with dignity all the infirmities one endures and is aware of, and to trace a path back to the Center -- a place of love and Grace -- where the Spirit directs and guides and we rest in a state of bliss.

No comments: